Benefits of dogs physical and mental health
The bonds between humans and dogs are powerful. Scientific studies show the positive link between dogs and mental health is undeniable. They help with depression, anxiety, and stress.
When petting a dog:
- the heart rate slows
- blood pressure reduces
- muscle become less tense
- breathing becomes more regular
Dogs provide companionship, ease loneliness, and bring us joy and unconditional love.
In terms of physical health use your dog as an excuse to exercise, even if just a gentle walk within the capabilities of your dog. Its well know that exercise:
- reduces the risk of a heart attack.
- manages weight better.
- lowers blood cholesterol level.
- lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
- lowers blood pressure.
- means stronger bones, muscles and joints and a lowers the risk of developing osteoporosis.